On the evening of 17th January 2018 Abbs Cross Academy held its first Futures Evening for Year 11 pupils and parents. This was an exciting opportunity to learn about real world experiences of different careers, and pathways into different jobs in these fields.
Attendees visited three workshops throughout the evening, on a variety of careers. We were very fortunate to have the following guest presenters to run workshops for the over seventy pupils in attendance:
- John Joseph, a senior Civil Servant at the Department for Environment, Food and Rural affairs;
- Andrew Holland, a fourth year medical student at the University of Leicester;
- Flight Commander Matthew Smith, a fighter pilot with the RAF based in Anglesey;
- Samantha Griffen, a retail executive with Marks and Spencer;
- Kelly Watson, a police officer with the Metropolitan Police Service;
- Tom Fletcher, General Manager for Everyone Active, Sport and Leisure Management;
- Tim Cay, local area manager for Harrison Catering;
- Gary Lidington, barrister with Radcliffe Chambers in London.
The evening was well attended, with pupils leaving informed about what steps to take next year to start them off on their desired career path.
Head of Information and Guidance