Within the month of January our students took part in the following activities:
Students in Years 7-11 received PSCHE lessons on the topics of:
PSCHE topics –
- Year 7 – Puberty, Emotions and Personal Hygiene, The Holocaust
- Year 8 – Random Acts of Kindness, Media, Body Image, The Holocaust
- Year 9 – British Values, Options, Radicalisation, Knife Crime
- Year 10 – Exam Stress, Self Harm , Human Rights, Healthy Relationships
- Year 11 – Sexting, Post 16, CSE and Grooming, Interview Skills
Assemblies covered –
- Year 11 – National Citizenship Service, Holocaust Memorial Day
- Year 10 – Values, Celebrating Diversity, Holocaust Memorial Day
- Year 9 – Options
- Year 8 – Celebrating Diversity, Holocaust Memorial Day
- Year 7 – Values, Celebrating Diversity, Gideons
Whole School Literacy Focus:
Words of the week –
- Venerable –
accorded a great deal of respect, especially because of age, wisdom or character.
- Meticulous –
showing great attention to detail; precise.
- Apoplectic –
overcome with anger, furious
- Civil: courteous and polite.
The students always spoke in a civil manner.
- Defy: resist or disobey.
The group has continued to defy all attempts to stop them.
- Garner: gather or collect.
The police struggled to garner sufficient evidence.
- Connoisseur – An expert judge in matters of taste.
A connoisseur of music.
- Galore – In abundance.
There were opportunities galore.
- Epiphany – A moment of sudden and great realisation.
The student experienced an epiphany: working hard made him cleverer!
- Eloquent – fluent or persuasive in speaking or writing.
He gave an eloquent speech.
- Decomposition – the state or process of rotting; decay.
The decomposition of organic waste.
- Affiliate – a person or organization officially attached to a larger body.
The firm established links with American affiliates.
Grammar Guidance – Your and You’re
- Your means ‘Belonging to you’ – You left your coffee on top of your car
- You’re is a contraction of ‘you are’ – You’re going to get sleepy with your dose of caffine.
Pupils took part in several events, including:
Wednesday 8th January –
- Year 11 Year Group and Form Photos
Wednesday 15th January –
- Year 11 Futures Evening, 6.00pm – 8.00pm
Monday 20th January –
- Secondary Dance Competition
Tuesday 21st January –
- Year 8 Leadership Academy, Bower Park School, 12.00pm – 3.30pm
- Year 10 Anti Bullying Training, Southend School for Girls, 7.30am-5.00pm
Thursday 23rd January –
- Year 11 Parents’ Evening, 4.00pm-7.00pm
Monday 27th January –
- Jack Petchey Latin American Workshop, Dance Studio, 2.00pm – 4.00pm
- Essex Cricket Tapeball Launch Event, Essex County Cricket Ground, 8.30am-3.30pm
Wednesday 29th January –
- Year 8 Leadership Academy, Hornchurch Sports Centre, 8.00am – 4.00pm
Thursday 30th January –
- Year 9 Parents’ Evening, 4.00pm-7.00pm
Friday 31st January –
- Inset Day