The Business Studies department encourages students to be inspired, moved and challenged by following a broad, coherent, satisfying and worthwhile course of study, thereby gaining an insight into the wide world of business, employment and the economic environment in which students live and will grow into.
The department prides itself on not only delivering courses that allows students to develop academically, but ones that helps to foster and grow transferable skills which can later be applied to further education and the work environment. The Edexcel Business Studies courses offer a dynamic and well-rounded view of the business world which many past students have enjoyed and grown a passion for.
The department aims to develop students who:
- Actively engage in the study of business and economics to develop as effective and independent students and as critical and reflective thinkers with enquiring minds;
- Use an enquiring, critical approach to distinguish facts and opinions, to build arguments and make informed judgements;
- Develop and apply their knowledge, understanding and skills to contemporary issues in a range of local, national and global contexts;
- Appreciate the range of perspectives of different stakeholders in relation to business and economic activities;
- Consider the extent to which business and economic activity can be ethical and sustainable.
This is achieved by using a rigorous approach to study, using a range of resources and well-developed schemes of work. These have the main intention of making the theory learned applicable to the real world, via the use of current and pertinent real life examples. Students are encouraged to work in a cooperative and collaborative manner which not only allows them to develop and share knowledge but also increase their confidence and ability to communicate.
Business studies in Year 10 & 11
Business is a subject that offers students an introduction to how businesses are developed and grown in the real world. It informs them of the practical nature of the world we live in and the mechanisms that operate in the markets that impact on our lives. The subject is very broad combining theoretical learning with practical working examples. The course we offer helps to bring a well-meaning balance to their learning and personal development suitable for their future needs. For example students are regularly encouraged to give talks and presentations on business ideas to help develop their confidence and communication skills. Students are encouraged to be as creative as possible in coming up with business ideas as well as being entrepreneurial in the way they approach their studies.
Students have a choice of the following Business courses at Key Stage 4:
- GCSE Business (Years 10 – 11) from Edexcel Examination Board
The school offers great opportunities for students through business trips and activities. All learning facilities are fully resourced with IT in every classroom to give each and every student the best we can offer.
Is this the right subject for me?
If you enjoy:
- Communicating and explaining your ideas
- Thinking creatively and making decisions
- Working with numbers to solve business problems
- Learning about the world of business through research and investigation, as well as through practical tasks then the GCSE Business course is the right subject for you.
What kind of topics will I study?
You will study these topics amongst many others.
What do I need to know, or be able to do, before taking this course?
It doesn’t matter if you haven’t studied business prior to taking this course. You might have an interest in business, and want to start your own business one day. You may have an enquiring mind and be interested in learning about the world around you, how businesses are set up, and what it is that makes someone a great entrepreneur. This course will help you to understand all this and more.
GCSE Edexcel Revision Guide – 9781292190716
GCSE Edexcel Revision Workbook – 9781292190709