IMPORTANT DATES FOR SEPTEMBER 2020 NEW JOINERS
If you have received an offer of a place at Abbs Cross Academy, I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you. I take great pride in the fact that you have entrusted the secondary education of your child to us here at Abbs Cross Academy. The relationship between parents and school is vital in ensuring that your child has the opportunity to explore their talents and are given the chances to achieve their best. Successful transition from Primary to Secondary School is crucial in ensuring that your child gets off to a flying start. As such there are a number of important dates to note:
- Year 6 Interviews: Wednesday 22 May – Friday 14th June 2019
- Year 6 Induction Day: Tuesday 25th June 2019
- Year 6 Parent Information Meeting: Monday 8th July 2019
In-year and standard admission enquiries should be addressed to the Local Authority, School Admissions Team.
The School Admissions Team
Tel. No.: 01708 434600
Year 7 Entry – September 2020
Prospective Parents’ Evening: 19th September 2019
Our Open Evening for Year 7 entry in September 2020 will take place on the 19th September 2019 from 4.00 pm – 8.00 pm. Headteacher’s presentations will take place at 5.00 pm, 6.00 pm and 7.00 pm in the sports hall.
If you are unable to come on that evening or would, in any case, like to visit the school during the day, please telephone to make an appointment for the week beginning Monday 23rd September 2019.
Performing Arts Places
Secondary Transfer (Year 6 to 7)
- Where a pupil seeks admission to the School on the basis of their aptitude in Performing Arts, applicants will be invited to the School for an audition on Thursday 10th October 2019. The audition will comprise of aptitude tests in one of the disciplines of music, drama or dance. This is explained in more detail on the supplementary application form. Parents will be notified of the outcome of the audition prior to the closing date for applications.
- Six places will be allocated to each of the disciplines. Should these not be filled the remaining places will be allocated to the next best students from any of the three disciplines (taking the total to the allotted 10%)
- When the pupils are in the School the courses open to them will be those open to all pupils of the School, though it is expected that such pupils will continue with their extra-curricular Arts studies throughout their period at the School.
- If a pupil admitted under B iii) leaves the school, the Arts place may be offered to an Arts applicant held on the waiting list in the relevant year group. Where there is no suitable applicant, the place will be offered in accordance with B i), ii) or B iv).
Please note the performing arts application form will be available at the Prospective Parents’ Evening.